Thursday, February 11, 2016

LEGO Star Wars First Order Transporter (792 pcs) 75103: MOD Version



My name is Raymond. I'm a professional wedding photographer. This is my first blog post (actually a test post). I wanted to start a blog about Lego stuff for a long time. Because of time, I didn't have much time to take the action. I spent most of my time updating my wedding photography business' Facebook Page, Instagram, and Blog. It was tough to management one more blog for hobby purpose.

Recently, I found I had too many Lego models at home and I had to pack them into boxes (too bad). I thought they should have a record for each of them especially those I really liked. Not only Lego but also my figures were packed in boxes recently. Therefore, I expected this blog would be a place showing my collections.



The first blog post is about my newly finished Star Wars First Order Transporter Mod. I bought 2 sets for this project. Why? The original design was too short comparing to the version from actual movie: The Force Awakens. Other than that, this set was very well built by Lego designers. They used the limited budget to build something very very close to the real model. I thought I was just building something that they originally built before being cut down to the retail version. How do I know? If you studied the instruction booklet carefully, you should see 12 studs at the middle of this vehicle were missing. By adding the original rectangular technic part and two black 1x6 bricks at the base, you should see how easy to fill up the missing 12 studs of contents.



See the side view from the photo above. If I had time, I would rebuild the back part of the Transporter to match the real thing closer. Main structure wasn't changed much.

I rebuild the cabin (control room) to reduced 1 stud depth. It made it looked taller and narrower.





However, I kept the play feature as the Lego designers did. The back door could be opened. The door was a 4x4 plate with 16 studs on it. I changed it into a 4x4 plate with 4 studs on one side to make it look smoother. The control room (pulled out) was modified a bit for fitting the door. I still could put a Stormtropper standing inside the cabin as the original design.



Let's look at the back. Very simple... Just turn the 4x4 with 4 studs plates around to hide the studs on the 4 engines.



I added something under the 4 engines to hide the unwanted technic parts, too.

Now, let's look at the change that I really like...



I'm not a fan of stud shooters. I super hate that and I think Lego knew adults hate them too. So, I rebuilt the cannons at the top. Simple and no tricks.

Let's take a look at interior.





This mod took 14 ~ 16 troopers (the real thing took 20). Frametroopers took up more space with the gas tanks at their back. As you could see, the original design had 3 transparent red flat 1x1 on each side and my simple mod was extended to 6 on each side. Just follow the structure pattern for the extension area.

Next thing I really cared about was the two "deflector shield" devices.



Lego's original design of the "deflector shield" devices was made into two shooters. I saw most of the adult Lego fans just mod them away. I didn't have two 1x6 light grey plates for both sides. Therefore, I just used two dark greys instead (I will change it later).

I will update the change if I have time.

Finally, I bought a knockoff version of Transporter other than my two boxes of Lego's. I thought I might need some special parts to fill the gaps but it ended up two Lego sets plus my stocks did the job very well. I will post the result of that "Lepin" version in this blog later

No comments:

Post a Comment